German higher education entrance qualification
How do I apply to a bachelor's degree program?
- a German university entrance qualification
- foreign academic qualifications, I have already had my academic certificates recognized in Germany and I am able to submit a grade point average converted to German scores
- successfully passed an assessment test of a preparatory college in Germany and have received recognition of my foreign academic qualification with a designated average grade
Registration in the online portal
Before you can start your application, you must first register on the online portal of the University and set up an applicant account. Please note that registrations in the application portal of the university from previous semesters are no longer valid. To set up your account, click on the link Register now on the homepage of the application portal and enter your personal data there.
You will be prompted to choose a password and will receive an email upon completion of the registration process. Your account will be activated using the link provided and you can start your application. Please ensure that you have access to your access data (user name and password) at all times. After you have registered and logged in, you will be guided through the application step by step. All obligatory answers are marked with an asterisk (*). If you need assistance with the individual input fields you can click on the info icon. Should you still have any technical questions or questions related to your studies, please contact zulassung(at)hs-mainz.de.
You may submit three equivalent applications under one applicant number.
You can interrupt the online application at any time and begin again at a later point, if you have to research some information, for example. The information you have entered will be saved. The status of the application is then in preparation. You can only work on the application and the related information up until you have submitted it by clicking on Submit application. Please check your information once again before final submission. After submission, changes can only be made when the application has been withdrawn. You have the option of withdrawing the application. You can then submit it again with corrected information.
You can submit another application for a different degree program at any time up until the application deadline by clicking on the button Add application. Submitted applications are initially assigned the status of received. You will be informed by email about every change in the status of your application and referred to the application portal
After applying online, click on Application letter to print the written version of your application. Furthermore, on this page you can find out what additional documents need to be submitted as hard copies.
Please send your written and signed application to:
Mainz University of Applied Sciences
Office of Student Affairs
After the applications have been received in written form, your status changes to being processed. The application is not considered submitted to the University until the hard copy of it has been received. You can see an overview of the status of the individual applications via your application portal at Mainz University of Applied Sciences.
Documents to be submitted
- Chronological, signed curriculum vitae with no missing periods of time
- Certificate of possible military or civilian service, federal voluntary service completed
- General higher education entrance qualification
- Subject-specific higher education entrance qualification
- Entrance qualification for university of applied sciences
APPLICANTS WITH QUALIFIED VOCATIONAL TRAINING AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Applicants with qualified vocational training and work experience as well as applicants who have passed a master craftsman examination or a comparable advanced training examination must submit the following documents:
- Proof of vocational training completed with a qualified result (officially certified copy)
- Final certificate of the Chamber with information on the scores (officially certified copy)
- Vocational school graduation certificate (officially certified copy)
- Proof of the training examination - if available (officially certified copy)
- Original documentation as proof of a relevant, professional or comparable activity of two years (type, duration, place) by the employer
- Proof that you have passed the master craftsman's examination or equivalent examination including the total score (officially certified copy)
The first semester is always preset as the subject semester for all bachelor's degree programs. If you have already completed periods of study at a university, Mainz University of Applied Sciences reserves the right to final classification into the semester on the basis of the documents to be submitted.
Applying with previous study periods
Applicants with previous periods of study in Germany or abroad must submit the following documents in addition to the required documents in due time when applying to our university. This applies to all previous degree programs in which you were or are enrolled
- Clearance certificate (in German)
- Clearance certificate for curricula at foreign universities (in English)
- Proof of achievement / grade chart with indication of the ECTS credits, grade, number of attempts including the failed achievements with indication of the provisional grade point average of your achievements to date.
- Exmatriculation certificate of all degree programs in which you were previously enrolled. If you are still enrolled by the application deadline, you can submit your application at the time of enrollment - at the latest by 15 October for the winter semester and by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester.
Depending on the semester for which you are applying, this document relating to the individual achievements may not be issued before 15 May for the winter semester or 15 November for the summer semester (in German)
- Summary of the individual modules including the ECTS credits (in German)
- Curriculum (in German)
If you are still enrolled at another university at the time of application and are able to complete achievements there, you must, in the case of admission to Mainz University of Applied Sciences, provide a current clearance certificate and current proof of achievements / grade point average including the failed achievements after the grading of the last examination achievement by the previous university again without being asked. This must be done by October 15 for the winter semester and by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester at the Office of Student Affairs of Mainz University of Applied Sciencesn.
Subject-related semester and credit recognition
Recognition of achievements from previous periods of study takes into account both passed and failed attempts. If necessary, you may be required at a later date to submit documents for all exam achievements that have been completed and then also evaluated.
Recognition is formally granted by the respective examination board. In the case of admission to a higher semester, you will receive notification of the placement semester via the notification of admission. If you are placed in the first semester, please contact the student advisory service of the respective department for recognition of achievements.
Please note that in this case admission is subject to the condition precedent that the explicitly requested documents are submitted in full, on time and ready for examination within the enrollment period or any other period specified by the university in the notification of admission and that the examination of the documents by the university leads to a positive examination result.
If a positive examination result cannot be certified, the notification of admission issued under the condition precedent shall have no legal effect. There is no right to enrollment and there will be no special decision on this.
Specifically for applicants with foreign academic qualifications and existing recognition in Germany
- Foreign academic qualifications
- Translation of foreign academic qualifications
- Recognition of foreign academic qualifications in Germany
- Average grade of the foreign academic qualification (converted to the German grading system)
- Certificate of the preparatory college if you have attended the preparatory college
- Residence permit (for applicants from non-EU member countries)
PROOF OF GERMAN LANGUAGE SKILLS
You must submit one of the following supporting documents when applying:
- Test German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF)-TDN 3 in all parts of the examination
- German language examination for university entrance at least level 1 (DSH-1)
- Goethe certificate at least B2
- B2 language certificates of German universities
- German Language Diploma DSD II
- telc German B2
- at least two years of completed vocational training in Germany
- Successfully completed degree in German language studies
- Hauptschule or Realschule school certificate from Germany (the certificate of the final class must have been passed).
- Cooperation contract between Mainz University of Applied Sciences and your employer (original)
- A valid vocational training contract concluded by the Chamber (certified copy)
Additionally required documents
- Diploma and diploma certificate or bachelor's certificate and bachelor's degree with grade point average (decimal point)
- If the documents are not yet available and the grade of the final examination of the first degree program has not been verified, the result of the final examination is evaluated with "1 point" when determining the measurement number for the selection for a second degree program
- Reasons for enrolling in a second degree program
- Written application for admission due to extraordinary hardship
The reasons for the application must be justified in writing and supported by relevant documents.
- Written application to improve the average grade and/or waiting time
The reasons for the application must be justified in writing and supported by relevant documents.
Information on applying online
application together. Here you choose your desired degree and field of study. For all bachelor’s degree programs, the subject-related semester is always predefined as the 1st subject-related semester. If you have already completed periods of study at a German university, the University of Applied Sciences Mainz reserves the right to allocate students to the respective subject-related semester using the documents provided.
When you have entered all of your information, you will find your application under Applications in preparation. You can only make changes to your application up until you have clicked on Submit application, thus taking the first step by submitting it online. You can submit additional applications for other degree programs by clicking on Add application. You may submit up to three applications to Mainz University of Applied Sciences. To make changes to an application that has not yet been submitted, click on Edit application.
After doing so, you can no longer edit this application. Should you wish to change any information or you have noticed a mistake, you have to click on Withdraw application. Subsequently, this application will not be processed by the University until you resubmit it.
Under Submitted applications you will find the applications you have submitted online. Click on Application letter in the information window under Submitted applications to get a printable PDF file. You will find the documents to be submitted in paper form with the application letter on the pages of the degree program you are applying to.
Please send the complete, signed hard copy of the application documents, including the printed application letter, to the address stipulated in the application. To be able to make any subsequent changes to general and personal information that applies to all applications, you have to withdraw the applications and resubmit them, so please check your information thoroughly before submitting it.
If all of the information is correct, click on Submit application.
- Study history
Under Study history please enter whether you have already studied at one or more German universities and whether you have already completed a degree at a German university. The degree program is considered completed if you have completed or will complete all the required academic and/or examination achievements during the current semester of submitting your application.
If you are a new student, please enter 0 (zero) here
- Vocational education
Under Vocational education please enter whether you have already completed vocational training.
- Have you completed public/military service?
Under Completed public/military service, please enter whether you have completed public or military service (such as the German armed forces, civil service, federal voluntary service). Applicants who have completed service will be given preference in the admission procedure in cases where the data is the same otherwise (such as the same grades and same waiting period).
When writing your first application, you must indicate a higher education entrance qualification.
You will generally only have acquired one of these qualifications, such as the Abitur or Fachabitur. If you have more than one higher education entrance qualification, you can enter several of these qualifications, one after another, and allocate them to the respective applications. If you have any questions about this, please contact us by email at email@example.com.
As long as you have not yet submitted an application, you can still edit the data. If the higher education entrance qualification is allocated to one or more applications, the editing function is deactivated. If you want to change your information or have noticed mistakes, you will need to withdraw your application first. As a result, this application will not be processed by the University until you resubmit it.
You can informally submit a hardship application, an application to improve your grade and/or to improve your waiting period. Should you make the respective applications, please submit the supporting documents together with your application materials to Mainz University of Applied Sciences.
The University requires a postal address that is marked as the correspondence address: This is the address we will send your documents to. If you enter more than one address, one of them must be marked as the correspondence address.
Edit email address
The University requires an email address that is marked as the correspondence address. This is the address that will be used to inform you about changes in the status of your application, for example. If you enter more than one email address, one of them must be marked as the correspondence address.
Print test sheet
You can easily check the information you have entered by exporting the test sheet as a PDF file. It shows you the information on your application at a glance. To do this, you will need a PDF program (such as Adobe Acrobat).