View of the city Mainz from Wiesbaden's Rhein page, Foto: Erich Weiler

Financing possibilities

Studying abroad always means an additional financial burden. On average, monthly costs of approximately 800 to 1000 € for studying abroad are to be reckoned with. A scholarship can only be a contribution and should be applied for well in advance at the respective funding institutions.

Erasmus+ scholarships

The University of Applied Sciences Mainz has applied for Erasmus+ scholarships, which are paid to students to study as exchange students at our European partner universities.

The status of an Erasmus+ scholarship holder means that study fees need not be paid, access to examinations and guidance is granted at the foreign universities and certain achievements in the foreign country are accepted on returning to Mainz (however, only if this has been arranged beforehand!). In addition, Erasmus+ scholarship holders shall receive a grant.

Free mover scholarship programme

Should you organise a place at a university in Europe yourself or want to study at one of our partner universities in Europe as a so-called fee paying student (this applies should all the Erasmus+ study places have already been taken) and you do not receive Bafög, there is the possibility to apply for the PROMOS programme. Only the university itself can apply for these scholarships. An allowance can be granted for staying for 3 to 12 months in any of the partner countries of the university.

Application deadlines for these scholarships is mid March for the same year.

Education loan

Since 2001 the Federal Government has issued a Bildungskredit-Programm(education loan programme) enabling students (regardless of parental income) to take out a low interest loan at the Deutsche Ausgleichsbank (application via the Bundesverwaltungsamt – Federal Administrative Office) for studies abroad or an internship abroad (up to 24 months). The highest amount for a grant is 300 Euros per month. The repayment terms are also moderate.

Bafög for studies abroad

Bafög students receive international grants for subject-oriented studies abroad. The allowance can only be granted for a period of at least 6 months. In the case of university cooperation the student must spend at least 12 weeks at the foreign place of study. 

The corresponding application must be submitted to the respective Bafög authorities at least 6 months in advance.

Applications for Auslands-BaföG are to be submitted to the respective Bafög authority responsible for the target country. If an internship is stipulated in the examination regulations, Bafög for studies abroad can be applied for internships of 3 to 12 months as long as the student has sufficient command of the language.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

The DAAD offers a number of additional grant possibilities, such as yearly scholarships, combined study and practical semesters or semester scholarships. Moreover, it supports the completion of a Bachelor or Master thesis abroad as well as summer language courses abroad (all languages except English). Even travel expenses for internships abroad can be subsidised.

Further details and application dates are to be taken from the homepage of the DAAD.

Fulbright Commission

Fulbright promotes spending time studying at American universities during an academic year (at the beginning of August) and grants partial scholarships, which cover travel expenses and part of the costs of living.

However, the Fulbright Commission determines at which university in the USA you will study. You only have the possibility to express your preference as far as which university you would like to go to. Please note that you will have to wait about one and a half years for this programme.

Applications for this programme are to be submitted to the respective International Office of the faculties.

Promotion of gifted students at university

The eleven scholarship systems for gifted students supported by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) grant scholarships to young people like you: students and postgraduate students are individually promoted as independent and (self) critical personalities. 

Central office for job placement

If you would like to earn some money abroad, you should ask for information at the Central office for job placement (ZAV4) or the Council on International Educational Exchange



UNI-ASSIST Information (english)

UNI-ASSIST Merkblatt

First things first
Step by Step guide for the registration for online-services

Contact Persons

Ulla Plate

Head of International Office
Tel. +49 (0) 6131 - 628 -7360

Gabriele Müller Gebhardt

School of Technology
Tel. +49 (0) 6131 628-7366

Erich Weiler

School of Design
Tel. +49 (0) 6131 628-7365

Ariane Göbel

Outgoing Students
School of Business
Tel. +49 (0) 6131 628 -7362

Sabine Klebig

Incoming Students
School of Business
Tel. +49 (0) 6131 628 -7363

Ulla Hück

School of Business
Tel. +49 (0) 6131 628 -7364