This content is only partially available in English.

German higher education entrance qualification

Information on applying in the online portal

Documents to be submitted

  • Chronological, gap-free and signed curriculum vitae
  • Copy of the certificate of higher education entrance qualification (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, professional qualification, master craftsman examination or a comparable advanced vocational training examination)
  • Exmatriculation certificates for all previous degree programs at universities you were enrolled at after completing your first undergraduate degree program. You can submit this until you enroll at Mainz University of Applied Sciences. Applicants who have not yet successfully completed their studies by the closing date for applications or enrollment due to missing academic achievements must submit their de-registration certificate by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester and by October 15 for the winter semester.


If you have already been enrolled in a master's program or are currently enrolled, you must also provide the following documents within the application period at our university in addition to the required documents. This applies to all previous degree programs in which you were or are enrolled after completing your first undergraduate degree.

  • Clearance certificate
  • Clearance certificates for all degree programs at foreign universities after completion of the first undergraduate degree.
  • Performance record / grade chart with indication of the ECTS credits, grades, number of attempts including the failed attempts with indication of the preliminary grade point average of your academic achievements to date.

Depending on the semester for which you are applying, this documentation of the individual achievements may not be issued before 15 May for the winter semester or 15 November for the summer semester (in German language only).

  • Summary of the individual modules including the ECTS credits (in German)
  • Study curriculum (in German)

If you are still enrolled at another university at the time of application and can complete academic achievements there, you will have to present a current clearance certificate and a current proof of achievement / grade chart including the failed achievements after the grading of the last examination achievement by the previous university once again without being asked to. This must be done by October 15 for the winter semester and March 30 for the summer semester at the Office of Student Affairs of Mainz University of Applied Sciences.


Especially for applicants with foreign educational certificates

  • Foreign academic credentials
  • Translation of foreign academic credentials (officially certified copy)
  • Recognition of foreign academic credentials in Germany (officially certified copy)
  • Indication of grade point average in the academic credentials (converted to the German grading system)
  • Certificate of a preparatory college if you have attended a preparatory college (officially certified copy)
  • Residence permit (for applicants from non-EU member states)

Proof of German language

Level C1 is required for the application to a master's degree program and must be proven by:

  • German language examination for university entrance at least level 2 (DSH-2)
  • Goethe Certificate at least C1
  • German as a Foreign Language Test (TestDaF) TDN 4 in all parts of the examination
  • Alternatively: Business language German, telc German C1


The test results must be submitted no later than two months after the start of classes.

Proof of the required English language skills can be provided during the selection interview.

If proof is not provided during the selection interview, it may be provided in one of the following forms:

  • TOEFL iBT score 79 (as of 2011)
  • TOEIC 750 points
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System)  Certificate Level B2
  • ILEC (International Legal English Certificate) with Level B2
  • As proof of the required language skills, all degree programs additionally recognize the acquisition of at least 30 ECTS credits from economics lectures taught and examined entirely in English and for which the last academic achievements have been completed within the last two years.

Proof of English can be submitted up to two months after the start of classes.

The validity of language tests is limited to two years from the date of issue.

Adequate stays abroad can replace language tests, whereby equivalence has to be decided on a case-by-case basis. A certificate of achievement from the foreign university must be presented here, showing that the academic achievements were performed in English.


  • A university degree (at least six semesters, a degree in economics or law, or a university degree in a field of economics)
  • For applications with already completed studies, the Diploma Supplement must be enclosed
  • Transcript of records (if not already included in the Diploma Supplement)
  • Proof of at least six months' professional experience by means of an employment contract, references or the signed and stamped certificate (see download) in the field of taxes administered by Federal or Länder tax authorities.
  • Joint declaration (see download) from employee and employer
    The applicant must declare that they are seeking further training which, among other things, will prepare them for the tax consultancy examination, and the employer that they are prepared to release the applicant to the necessary extent


    In the case of part-time work, a certificate is required from the employer confirming that the employee is working part-time and will continue to do so in the future.

Professionally qualified for the continuing education master's degree

In addition, you must submit the following documents in accordance with Section 35 Para. 1 of the Rhineland-Palatinate Higher Education Act::

  • Proof of higher education entrance qualification
  • Proof of professional employment that is sufficiently related to the content of the chosen degree program
  • Proof that you have performed this professional work for at least three years


Additionally required documents