This content is only partially available in English.

German higher education entrance qualification

How do I apply to a bachelor's degree program?

Dialog-oriented Service Procedure (DOSV)

Documents to be submitted

  • Chronological, signed curriculum vitae with no missing periods of time
  • Certificate of possible military or civilian service, federal voluntary service completed


Certificate of

  • General higher education entrance qualification
  • Subject-specific higher education entrance qualification
  • Entrance qualification for university of applied sciences



Applicants with qualified vocational training and work experience as well as applicants who have passed a master craftsman examination or a comparable advanced training examination must submit the following documents:

  • Proof of vocational training completed with a qualified result (officially certified copy)
    • Final certificate of the Chamber with information on the scores (officially certified copy)
    • Vocational school graduation certificate (officially certified copy)
  • Proof of the training examination - if available (officially certified copy)
  • Original documentation as proof of a relevant, professional or comparable activity of two years (type, duration, place) by the employer
  • Proof that you have passed the master craftsman's examination or equivalent examination including the total score (officially certified copy)


The first semester is always preset as the subject semester for all bachelor's degree programs. If you have already completed periods of study at a university, Mainz University of Applied Sciences reserves the right to final classification into the semester on the basis of the documents to be submitted.

Applying with previous study periods

Applicants with previous periods of study in Germany or abroad must submit the following documents in addition to the required documents in due time when applying to our university. This applies to all previous degree programs in which you were or are enrolled

  • Clearance certificate (in German)
  • Clearance certificate for curricula at foreign universities (in English)
  • Proof of achievement / grade chart with indication of the ECTS credits, grade, number of attempts including the failed achievements with indication of the provisional grade point average of your achievements to date.
  • Exmatriculation certificate of all degree programs in which you were previously enrolled. If you are still enrolled by the application deadline, you can submit your application at the time of enrollment - at the latest by 15 October for the winter semester and by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester. 

Depending on the semester for which you are applying, this document relating to the individual achievements may not be issued before 15 May for the winter semester or 15 November for the summer semester (in German)

  • Summary of the individual modules including the ECTS credits (in German)
  • Curriculum (in German)

If you are still enrolled at another university at the time of application and are able to complete achievements there, you must, in the case of admission to Mainz University of Applied Sciences, provide a current clearance certificate and current proof of achievements / grade point average including the failed achievements after the grading of the last examination achievement by the previous university again without being asked. This must be done by October 15 for the winter semester and by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester at the Office of Student Affairs of Mainz University of Applied Sciencesn.


Subject-related semester and credit recognition

Recognition of achievements from previous periods of study takes into account both passed and failed attempts. If necessary, you may be required at a later date to submit documents for all exam achievements that have been completed and then also evaluated.

Recognition is formally granted by the respective examination board. In the case of admission to a higher semester, you will receive notification of the placement semester via the notification of admission. If you are placed in the first semester, please contact the student advisory service of the respective department for recognition of achievements.

Please note that in this case admission is subject to the condition precedent that the explicitly requested documents are submitted in full, on time and ready for examination within the enrollment period or any other period specified by the university in the notification of admission and that the examination of the documents by the university leads to a positive examination result.

If a positive examination result cannot be certified, the notification of admission issued under the condition precedent shall have no legal effect. There is no right to enrollment and there will be no special decision on this.


Specifically for applicants with foreign academic qualifications and existing recognition in Germany

  • Foreign academic qualifications
  • Translation of foreign academic qualifications
  • Recognition of foreign academic qualifications in Germany
  • Average grade of the foreign academic qualification (converted to the German grading system)
  • Certificate of the preparatory college if you have attended the preparatory college
  • Residence permit (for applicants from non-EU member countries)


You must submit one of the following supporting documents when applying:

  • Test German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF)-TDN 3 in all parts of the examination
  • German language examination for university entrance at least level 1 (DSH-1)
  • Goethe certificate at least B2
  • B2 language certificates of German universities
  • German Language Diploma DSD II
  • telc German B2
  • at least two years of completed vocational training in Germany
  • Successfully completed degree in German language studies
  • Hauptschule or Realschule school certificate from Germany (the certificate of the final class must have been passed).




Studying without an Abitur in Rhineland-Palatinate Information from the Ministry of Science, Continuing Education and Culture (only available in German)

Additionally required documents

Information on applying