This content is only partially available in English.

German academic qualifications

How do I apply to a master's degree program?

Documents to be submitted

  • Chronological, gap-free and signed curriculum vitae
  • Copy of the certificate of higher education entrance qualification (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, professional qualification, master craftsman examination or a comparable advanced vocational training examination)
  • Exmatriculation certificates for all previous degree programs at universities you were enrolled at after completing your first undergraduate degree program. You can submit this until you enroll at Mainz University of Applied Sciences. Applicants who have not yet successfully completed their studies by the closing date for applications or enrollment due to missing academic achievements must submit their de-registration certificate by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester and by October 15 for the winter semester.


If you have already been enrolled in a master's program or are currently enrolled, you must also provide the following documents within the application period at our university in addition to the required documents. This applies to all previous degree programs in which you were or are enrolled after completing your first undergraduate degree.

  • Clearance certificate
    Clearance certificates for all degree programs at foreign universities after completion of the first undergraduate degree.
  • Performance record / grade chart with indication of the ECTS credits, grades, number of attempts including the failed attempts with indication of the preliminary grade point average of your academic achievements to date.

Depending on the semester for which you are applying, this documentation of the individual achievements may not be issued before 15 May for the winter semester or 15 November for the summer semester (in German language only).

  • Summary of the individual modules including the ECTS credits (in German)
  • Study curriculum (in German)

If you are still enrolled at another university at the time of application and can complete academic achievements there, you will have to present a current clearance certificate and a current proof of achievement / grade chart including the failed achievements after the grading of the last examination achievement by the previous university once again without being asked to. This must be done by October 15 for the winter semester and March 30 for the summer semester at the Office of Student Affairs of Mainz University of Applied Sciences.


Specifically for applicants with foreign educational certificates already recognized in Germany:

  • Foreign academic credentials
  • Translation of foreign academic credentials (officially certified copy)
  • Recognition of foreign academic credentials in Germany (officially certified copy)
  • Indication of grade point average in the academic credentials (converted to the German grading system)
  • Certificate of a preparatory college if you have attended a preparatory college (officially certified copy)
  • Residence permit (for applicants from non-EU member states)

Proof of German language skills
To apply to a Master's degree program, level C1 is required and proof must be provided in the form of:

  • German language examination for university admission at least level 2 (DSH-2)
  • Goethe Certificate at least C1
  • German as a Foreign Language Test (TestDaF) at least TDN 4 in all parts of the examination
  • Alternatively: German as a business language (Wirtschaftssprache Deutsch), telc German Ci




  • Bachelor's degree and certificate from a completed degree program in Building and Property Management, Facility Management or in Technical Property Management or a bachelor's degree and certificate, Engineering Diploma (FH) or Architecture or a degree from a foreign university recognized as equivalent.
  • For applicants who have already completed their studies, the Diploma Supplement must be enclosed.
  • Transcript of records (if not included in the Diploma Supplement)
  •  Interior architecture (bachelor, diploma engineer (FH) or diploma engineer): proof of at least one year of practical work on a construction site or related to building and property management and facility management.
  •  Proof of at least one year of practical work experience in the profession after completion of the previous degree program.
  • In addition to a degree in engineering, knowledge of mathematics must be proven. This knowledge may have been acquired during previous studies or as part of a separate qualification.


In addition, you must submit the following documents in accordance with Section 35 (1) of the Rhineland-Palatinate Higher Education Act:

  • Proof of higher education entrance qualification acquired by Abitur, Fachhochschulreife or subject-related higher education entrance qualification or
  • Proof of higher education entrance qualification acquired through a master craftsman's examination or a comparable advanced training examination or
  • Proof of higher education entrance qualification acquired with vocational qualification with the following:

    •  IHK or HWK certificate and final certificate of the vocational school or presentation of the final examination of a school-based vocational training regulated by state law (completed vocational training qualification: qualified result of at least 2.5 or better)
    • Proof of at least two years' work experience or a comparable activity that followed the qualified completion of a vocational training program leading to a higher education entrance qualification.

Plus proof of work experience, which shows sufficient content-related connections with the selected degree program and proof that you have performed this on-the-job activity for at least three years after obtaining your higher education entrance qualification.

A letter of motivation stating the reasons for your wish to study, with a maximum of 3,000 characters, detailing your previous skill development and evidenced by the following qualified documents:

  • Projects and areas of responsibility
  • Proof of examination results achieved within the framework of further training measures
  • Letters of reference or proof of all relevant practical activities. The certificates, attestations and other supporting documents must be submitted in the form of officially certified copies.


Additionally required documents

Information on applying