Applying via uni-assist
To study at our university, you need a higher education entrance qualification. If you have acquired a higher education entrance qualification abroad, you must check to what extent it is equivalent to the German higher education entrance qualification.
If your foreign higher education entrance qualification is recognized as equivalent to the German qualification and sufficient German language skills have been proven, you will be admitted to the study placement procedure.
If you did not acquire your university entrance qualification in Germany or at a school with German Abitur examination regulations (for example A-Levels, High School Diploma, Baccalaureat), send your application to uni-assist (the address is on the right).
- Students from partner universities who would like to study at Mainz University of Applied Sciences as part of an exchange program.
- Graduates of the assessment test of a preparatory course whose foreign educational qualification has been recognized with an average grade.
- Applicants who are already able to present recognition in Germany of their foreign educational qualification with a grade point average.
The nationality of the applicants is irrelevant.
Please note that uni-assist will only process your application once the fee has been paid. Please enclose a copy of the payment receipt with your application.
Information on the amount of the fee and the transfer of the fee for the examination of the foreign university entrance qualification can be found at www.uni-assist.de/zahlungstransfer.html
For the admission of foreign nationals or stateless persons who are not on an equal footing with Germans, a special quota of up to five percent of the fixed number of admissions applies. The current admission figures are published in the Mainz University of Applied Sciences Bulletin.
Please send the printed "Antrag auf Zulassung zum Studium für internationale Studienbewerber/innen mit ausländischem Bildungsnachweis" (Application for admission to studies for international applicants with foreign academic qualifications) to uni-assist together with the documents to be submitted in paper form (address is above on the right).
Documents to be submitted
- Chronological, signed curriculum vitae with no missing periods of time
- Copy of the payment receipt for the fee paid to uni-assist
- Residence permit (for applicants from non-EU member states)
- Copy of passport
- Declaration on previous periods of study at home and abroad (See under Download. Please note that the declaration must be submitted even if no study periods have yet been completed.)
- Proof of German language skills in certified form
Document your education from secondary school to your current level of education. Submit all your diplomas and certificates in full - you must always submit your degree and the associated overview of subjects and grades in full. Neither complete parts of the certificate (for example a diploma appendix) nor individual pages may be missing. If the grading system used is not listed on the subject and grade overview, please also submit the information on the grading system of your school or university.
It is necessary that you submit all certificates in the original language in an officially certified copy and additionally as a sworn translation, also in an officially certified copy. Submission is only possible in paper form. Copies of certified documents - whether in electronic or paper form - are only simple copies and are not authenticated themselves. A copy shall only be deemed to have been certified if the original certification stamp is on it.
If you have attended a preparatory course, please enclose the certificate of the preparatory course (officially certified copy).
The first semester is always preset as the subject semester for all bachelor's degree programs. If you have already completed periods of study at a university, Mainz University of Applied Sciences reserves the right to final classification into the semester on the basis of the documents to be submitted.
Applying with previous study periods
Applicants with previous periods of study in Germany or abroad must submit the following documents in addition to the required documents in due time when applying to our university. This applies to all previous degree programs in which you were or are enrolled.
- Clearance certificate (in German)
- Clearance certificate for curricula at foreign universities (in English)
- Proof of achievement / grade chart with indication of the ECTS credits, grade, number of attempts including the failed achievements with indication of the provisional grade point average of your achievements to date.
- Exmatriculation certificate of all degree programs in which you were previously enrolled. If you are still enrolled by the application deadline, you can submit your application at the time of enrollment - at the latest by 15 October for the winter semester and by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester.
Depending on the semester for which you are applying, this document relating to the individual achievements may not be issued before 15 May for the winter semester or 15 November for the summer semester (in German).
- Summary of the individual modules including the ECTS credits (in German)
- Curriculum (in German)
If you are still enrolled at another university at the time of application and are able to complete achievements there, you must, in the case of admission to Mainz University of Applied Sciences, provide a current clearance certificate and current proof of achievements / grade point average including the failed achievements after the grading of the last examination achievement by the previous university again without being asked. This must be done by October 15 for the winter semester and by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester at the Office of Student Affairs of Mainz University of Applied Sciences.
Subject-related semester and credit recognition
Recognition of achievements from previous periods of study takes into account both passed and failed attempts. If necessary, you may be required at a later date to submit documents for all exam achievements that have been completed and then also evaluated.
Recognition is formally granted by the respective examination board. In the case of admission to a higher semester, you will receive notification of the placement semester via the notification of admission. If you are placed in the first semester, please contact the student advisory service of the respective department for recognition of achievements.
Please note that in this case admission is subject to the condition precedent that the explicitly requested documents are submitted in full, on time and ready for examination within the enrollment period or any other period specified by the university in the notification of admission and that the examination of the documents by the university leads to a positive examination result.
If a positive examination result cannot be certified, the notification of admission issued under the condition precedent shall have no legal effect. There is no right to enrollment and there will be no special decision on this.
Level B2 is required for the application and verified by:
- Test German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF)-TDN 3 in all parts of the examination
- German language examination for university entrance at least level 1 (DSH-1)
- Goethe certificate at least B2
- German Language Diploma DSD II
- telc German B2
The proof must be presented in officially certified form.
If you apply and are admitted to the first and second semesters, proof of language skills can be submitted by the end of the second semester. The required language skills are not a prerequisite for admission for the first and second semester.
Applicants placed in the 3rd or later semester must submit proof in one of the following forms by the application deadline.
- General or subject-related higher education entrance qualification with at least a basic English Abitur course with at least 'good' or with at least 10 grade points (arithmetic mean of the last two scores shown on the certificate)
- General or subject-related higher education entrance qualification with at least an advanced course of English in the Abitur with at least 'satisfactory' or at least 7 grade points (arithmetic mean of the last two scores shown on the certificate)
- University of applied sciences entrance qualification with at least 'good' or with at least 10 grade points in English
- TOEFL iBT with at least Level B1 (as of 2008)
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) with at least level B1
- OOPT (Oxford Online Placement Test) at Mainz University of Applied Sciences only, with at least level B1 + (as of August 2012)
- Further requirements for English language skills, which the School of Business has defined for all bachelor's degree programs, can be found under:
- Cooperation agreement between Mainz University of Applied Sciences and your employer
- A valid finalized vocational training contract (copy) - at the latest by the application deadline - or proof of completed training (officially certified copy)
Additionally required documents
- Diploma and diploma certificate or bachelor's certificate and bachelor's degree with grade point average (decimal point)
If the documents are not yet available and the grade of the final examination of the first degree program has not been verified, the result of the final examination is evaluated with "1 point" when determining the measurement number for the selection for a second degree program.
- Reasons for enrolling in a second degree program
- Written application for admission due to extraordinary hardship
The reasons for the application must be justified in writing and supported by relevant documents.
- Written application to improve the average grade and/or waiting time
The reasons for the application must be justified in writing and supported by relevant documents.