German higher education entrance qualification
Information on applying in the online portal
Before you can start your application, you must first register on the online portal of the University and set up an applicant account. To do so, click on the link Register now on the homepage of the application portal and enter your personal data there. You will be prompted to choose a password and will receive an email upon completion of the registration process. Your account will be activated using the link provided and you can start your application. Please ensure that you have access to your access data (user name and password) at all times. After you have registered and logged in, you will be guided through the application step by step. All obligatory answers are marked with an asterisk (*). If you need assistance with the individual input fields you can click on the info icon. Should you still have any technical questions or questions related to your studies, please contact zulassung (at) hs-mainz.de.
After registering in the application portal for a place at university, you start to enter your application. There you can select the degree and field of study you are interested in. For all master's degree programs, the 1st semester is always preset as the subject-related semester. If you have already spent some time studying at a university, Mainz University of Applied Sciences reserves the right of final placement in the semester on the basis of the documents to be submitted.
Once you have provided all the information, you will find the application under Applications in preparation. You can now make changes until you click on Submit application and submit it online.
Via Add application you can submit further applications for other subjects. You may submit up to three applications to Mainz University of Applied Sciences.
To change an application that has not yet been submitted, click on Edit application.
After clicking Submit application, you will no longer be able to process this application. If you want to change any information or have noticed any errors, you must Withdraw application. Subsequently, this application will not be processed by the university until you submit it again.
Under Submitted applications, you will find the applications you have submitted online. Under Submitted applications, click on Application letter in the information window. You will now receive a PDF file which you can print out.
You will find the documents to be submitted with the Application letter in paper form on the pages of the degree program to which you are applying.
Together with the printed cover letter, send the signed, complete application documents on paper to the address preset in the application form.
In order to be able to subsequently change general and personal information that applies to all applications, you must withdraw and resubmit the applications. Please check your details thoroughly before submitting them.
If all details are correct, click on Submit application.
- Study history
Under Study history please enter whether you have already studied at one or more German universities and whether you have already completed a degree at a German university. The degree program is considered completed if you have completed or will complete all the required academic and/or examination achievements during the current semester of submitting your application.
If you are a new student, please enter 0 (zero) here
- Vocational education
Under Vocational education please enter whether you have already completed vocational training.
- Have you completed public/military service?
Under Completed public/military service, please enter whether you have completed public or military service (such as the German armed forces, civil service, federal voluntary service). Applicants who have completed service will be given preference in the admission procedure in cases where the data is the same otherwise (such as the same grades and same waiting period).
- When writing your first application, you must indicate a higher education entrance qualification (such as Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, vocational qualification).
- You must also provide information on your previous studies to apply to a master's degree program. For example, you will be asked about the degree program, the final grade, the graduation date, etc.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Affairs by e-mail at zulassung(at)hs-mainz.de. As long as you have not yet submitted an application, you can edit the data. If you want to change data or have noticed errors, you must first withdraw your application. Subsequently, this application will not be processed by the university until you re-submit it.
You can make an informal request for exceptional hardship and/or improvement of grade and/or waiting time. If you submit the relevant applications, please submit the supporting documents together with the application documents to Mainz University of Applied Sciences.
The University requires a postal address that is marked as the correspondence address: This is the address we will send your documents to. If you enter more than one address, one of them must be marked as the correspondence address.
Edit email address
The University requires an email address that is marked as the correspondence address. This is the address that will be used to inform you about changes in the status of your application, for example. If you enter more than one email address, one of them must be marked as the correspondence address.
To complete your application, click "Submit application/Bewerbung abgeben" in the application portal. Please upload all required documents to the application portal. You may inform yourself about the documents to be submitted on our homepage.
You can get an overview of the status of your individual application via the application portal.
Documents to be submitted
- Chronological, gap-free and signed curriculum vitae
- Copy of the certificate of higher education entrance qualification (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, professional qualification, master craftsman examination or a comparable advanced vocational training examination)
- Exmatriculation certificates for all previous degree programs at universities you were enrolled at after completing your first undergraduate degree program. You can submit this until you enroll at Mainz University of Applied Sciences. Applicants who have not yet successfully completed their studies by the closing date for applications or enrollment due to missing academic achievements must submit their de-registration certificate by the end of the first week of April for the summer semester and by October 15 for the winter semester.
If you have already been enrolled in a master's program or are currently enrolled, you must also provide the following documents within the application period at our university in addition to the required documents. This applies to all previous degree programs in which you were or are enrolled after completing your first undergraduate degree.
- Clearance certificate
- Clearance certificates for all degree programs at foreign universities after completion of the first undergraduate degree.
- Performance record / grade chart with indication of the ECTS credits, grades, number of attempts including the failed attempts with indication of the preliminary grade point average of your academic achievements to date.
Depending on the semester for which you are applying, this documentation of the individual achievements may not be issued before 15 May for the winter semester or 15 November for the summer semester (in German language only).
- Summary of the individual modules including the ECTS credits (in German)
- Study curriculum (in German)
If you are still enrolled at another university at the time of application and can complete academic achievements there, you will have to present a current clearance certificate and a current proof of achievement / grade chart including the failed achievements after the grading of the last examination achievement by the previous university once again without being asked to. This must be done by October 15 for the winter semester and March 30 for the summer semester at the Office of Student Affairs of Mainz University of Applied Sciences.
Especially for applicants with foreign educational certificates
- Foreign academic credentials
- Translation of foreign academic credentials (officially certified copy)
- Recognition of foreign academic credentials in Germany (officially certified copy)
- Indication of grade point average in the academic credentials (converted to the German grading system)
- Certificate of a preparatory college if you have attended a preparatory college (officially certified copy)
- Residence permit (for applicants from non-EU member states)
Proof of German language
Level C1 is required for the application to a master's degree program and must be proven by:
- German language examination for university entrance at least level 2 (DSH-2)
- Goethe Certificate at least C1
- German as a Foreign Language Test (TestDaF) TDN 4 in all parts of the examination
- Alternatively: Business language German, telc German C1
The test results must be submitted no later than two months after the start of classes.
Proof of the required English language skills can be provided during the selection interview.
If proof is not provided during the selection interview, it may be provided in one of the following forms:
- TOEFL iBT score 79 (as of 2011)
- TOEIC 750 points
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Certificate Level B2
- ILEC (International Legal English Certificate) with Level B2
- As proof of the required language skills, all degree programs additionally recognize the acquisition of at least 30 ECTS credits from economics lectures taught and examined entirely in English and for which the last academic achievements have been completed within the last two years.
Proof of English can be submitted up to two months after the start of classes.
The validity of language tests is limited to two years from the date of issue.
Adequate stays abroad can replace language tests, whereby equivalence has to be decided on a case-by-case basis. A certificate of achievement from the foreign university must be presented here, showing that the academic achievements were performed in English.
- Bachelor or diploma certificate attesting successful completion of a degree program in business law or a similar degree program
- Applicants who have already completed their studies must enclose the Diploma Supplement and the certificate.
- Transcript of records (if not already inlcuded in the Diploma Supplement)
If you have not yet completed your studies by the application deadline, you must provide proof of your academic performance with a preliminary grade point average and details of the ECTS credits available at that time, close to the date of your application. Depending on the semester applied for, proof of the individual academic achievements may not be issued by the issuing university before 15 May for the winter semester or 15 November for the summer semester. You must provide proof that, with the exception of a maximum of 30 ECTS credits, you have earned all ECTS credits to be earned in the first university degree that qualifies for a profession at the time the application deadline lapses.
Please note: You must complete the missing ECTS credits, study and examination achievements within the course of your first university degree. You may only subsequently submit proof that you have completed your first university degree by the end of the first master's semester.
You must also submit the following documents to enable us to verify whether the degree program you have completed is similar in content:
- Study curriculum with indication of ECTS credits
- The topic of the bachelor's or diploma thesis must be identifiable from the application documents.
- If you have completed project studies or practical semesters with a focus on business administration, you must provide appropriate proof or an internship certificate.
Additionally required documents
- Diploma and diploma certificate or master's diploma and master's degree certificate with grade point average (decimal place)
If the documents are not yet available and if the grade of the final examination of the first degree is not verified, the result of the final examination will be evaluated with "1 point" when determining the score in the selection for a second degree program.
- Reasons for commencing a second degree program
- written application for admission due to exceptional hardship.
You must provide written reasons for your application and substantiate them with the appropriate documents.
- Written request to improve the average grade and/or the waiting period.
You must provide written reasons for your application and substantiate them with the appropriate documents